1919 - 2002 (Port-au-Prince, Haiti)
Fernand Pierre was born in Carrefour, Port-au-Prince and began his artistic life as a wood carver. He joined le Centre d’Art in 1947, where he primarily worked in ceramics before finally training as a painter.
Pierre documented the nineteenth century gingerbread houses through repeated detailed paintings and then began to paint lush, deeply coloured fruit-laden trees. He is one of the five artists who painted the world-renowned murals, depicting The Visitation, of the Episcopal Cathedral of Sainte Trinité in Port-au-Prince in 1951.
His work is included in the permanent collections of the Musée d’Art Haitien du Collège Saint Pierre in Port-au-Prince, the Davenport Museum of Art, Iowa, the Milwaukee Museum of Art, the Wadsworth Atheneum in Hartford, Connecticut, and the Waterloo Museum of Art in Iowa.